Possibly they aren’t attractive or thrilling to speak about, however industrial smartglasses are very profitable of their subject as a result of they get the job achieved for an inexpensive worth. And Realwear, one of many main corporations within the subject, has just lately launched its new gadget, the Realwear Navigator 500, which guarantees to be much more helpful than the earlier mannequin for subject employees that must carry out help operations. I went hands-on with it at AWE, and these have been my impressions.
Realwear Navigator 500 Enhancements
The Realwear Navigator 500 is the brand new era mannequin meant to substitute the fantastic Realwear HMT-1, which was very profitable inside warehouses and different industrial amenities. At a fast look they could appear very related, as a result of they’re each monocle glasses with a small show in entrance of the consumer and a digital camera on prime of it, however there are literally some enhancements which can be price noticing.
To start with the digital camera: the sensor framing the skin world has within the Navigator 500 a staggering 48MP decision. After all, all this decision could appear ineffective if the digital camera stream will get both compressed (to be streamed to a management room for distant help operations), or proven contained in the very small display that the consumer has in entrance of his eyes. However really, all these further pixels are available very helpful: initially, in commonplace utilization, each 4 pixels of the digital camera are used to reconstruct just one pixel, to create a remaining picture of 12MP that’s proven to the consumer. This zooming-out operation is supposed to create a brand new picture that’s much less liable to noise and that’s extra dependable in low-light situations than if the unique sensor was a 12MP one. Moreover, in case the consumer needs to zoom the digital camera, ranging from 48MP signifies that you’ll be able to nonetheless zoom at 1.8x and procure a clear 12MP picture with none artifact, since you already had these pixels, so that you don’t must carry out any form of digital zoom. There are additionally further IMUs put in onto the gadget, that along with the one which was already current within the digital camera module, assure a greater stabilization of the picture. All of that is nice to ensure optimum picture high quality to the operator that has to carry out distant help operations inside industrial warehouses, which usually function varied difficult situations.
The gadget can be modular, and the digital camera may be simply indifferent and connected. This isn’t solely good so to substitute the digital camera simply in case it breaks, however additionally it is basic to extend the lifespan of the gadget. Realwear makes skilled headsets, and within the enterprise world, corporations desire a product that’s sturdy and on which they will depend on for lots of time. For this reason the anticipated lifespan for this mannequin is 4 years. However in 4 years, cameras are for positive going to evolve so much, pushed by the innovation of the smartphone sector, which is for positive sooner than the good glasses one. Because of the removable digital camera, Realwear might determine within the subsequent years to launch a brand new upgraded module of the digital camera with out having to launch a full new mannequin of the good glasses. Corporations can so make certain that they will purchase a product with a protracted life and that may be upgraded in its most necessary modules.
The gadget can be lighter than the earlier mannequin and has an inner elastic headband that ought to assure higher consolation. This fashion it may be worn for extra hours by the employees that must make use of it.
The working system has additionally been up to date and now the Realwear Navigator 500 runs the trendy Android 11.
Let me share with you some extra images I took in regards to the gadget. They don’t seem to be one of the best images I’ve ever taken, however in these exhibitions the time is all the time very tight…
I went hands-on with two demos of the Realwear Navigator 500, and each had been aimed on the most distinguished use case for these good glasses: upkeep.
The primary one was made in collaboration with Transition Applied sciences PSC, and it confirmed the basic distant help operation, with one worker utilizing the Realwear glasses and the opposite particular person being on the laptop computer, seeing what the primary worker was seeing and guiding him. The use case was very commonplace, however what was fascinating was that the digital camera stream of the Realwear was despatched to the cloud, the place a pc imaginative and prescient system labeled in real-time the objects the operator had in entrance of him and despatched these information again to him. The digital camera stream was so augmented, however not on the Realwear headset, which is a small cell gadget, however on the cloud. The sphere operator may then see the step-by-step directions in regards to the operations to do, powered by the automated labeling utilized by the cloud. The system additionally featured automated translation, in order that the sector employee might converse a language and the operator within the management room could also be a local speaker of one other one, and the system took care of writing the interpretation of what each particular person was saying within the language of the opposite one. That was a cool concept, however the Italian translation I may learn on the show was simply ok-ish and never all the time excellent (like all automated translation these days). The demo was efficient, by the best way.
For the second demo, I may lastly put on the gadget on my own and take a look at a system that allow me see some objects and informed me if there have been errors or not in what I used to be seeing, telling me what I ought to have fastened. This was extra a quality-check/upkeep demo to be carried out alone, so to simulate an automatic state of affairs. This demo labored as meant, too.
The fascinating a part of the second demo is that lastly, I obtained to attempt the gadget for a couple of minutes. That is the suggestions I can let you know for the brief time I had with it:
- The headset is for positive lighter and extra comfy than the primary unit. The headscarf is a good addition, for my part, as a result of it makes the smartglasses sit higher across the head
- The show was shiny and the textual content inside it readable, which is essential contemplating that folks must learn directions which can be written inside it. The one downside it had was some form of crimson leaking and a few glares in some contrasted zones of the show
- The actual downside with these good glasses is that you need to discover ways to use them. You will have the show simply in entrance of one in all your eyes, so in case you preserve gazing it, your eyes get an enormous pressure, as a result of it’s as in order for you them to focus at totally different distances: one on the show and the opposite at the true world. This is kind of the identical downside I described for the Google Glass v2: just one eye ought to concentrate on a detailed show and skim tiny writings on it, and that is tiresome. In my session with Realwear, I discovered that in all probability one of the best method is to make use of your eyes within the regular approach, trying on the world round you, after which give brief peeks on the closed small show with one eye simply when that you must see a chunk of knowledge there
- The digital camera is connected to your head, however not essentially frames what you’re looking at together with your eyes. You had higher rotating it up and down till it factors the thing you wish to increase or to ship to the management room
- These glasses work principally with a voice-recognition interface. The voice recognition labored fairly effectively, and it failed just some instances within the difficult situations I used to be in, that may be a noisy present flooring atmosphere with the consumer talking with a powerful Italian accent. I like the concept of voice recognition as a result of it lets the consumer work hands-free, which is nice for employees in industrial environments. However on the identical time, working with menus together with your voice is super-cumbersome, as a result of you need to learn aloud the whole lot: think about in case you needed to do the identical together with your laptop: even simply creating a brand new Phrase file means saying “OPEN START MENU”, “OPEN WORD”, “FILE MENU”, “CLICK NEW…”, “CLICK OK”, saying EVERYTHING you need to function on may be very cumbersome and a touchpad is way sooner, for my part
- The onboard audio was clear for the situations I needed to function in
I admit I’m not an enormous professional in industrial good glasses, however I do know that Realwear is among the main manufacturers there, and for a cause. This new Navigator 500 headset integrates necessary upgrades over the earlier mannequin, and particularly the higher-resolution digital camera and the higher stabilization of the photographs can assure a lot better performances to its customers. And the modular type issue can be an enormous benefit for corporations that buy it. After all, this isn’t a tool which will excite individuals within the XR neighborhood, however this isn’t its objective: it have to be very sensible and efficient, and for my part, it does its job fairly effectively.
My solely concern is about the way forward for these monocles: they aren’t very comfy for the eyes they usually have a really small show, so I feel that in the long term they are going to be substituted by one thing extra akin to glasses. In 4 years, Meta is rumored to launch its first AR glasses devoted to shoppers, so I assume that through the Navigator 5000’s lifetime, Realwear should carry out a expertise swap.
Disclaimer: this weblog comprises commercial and affiliate hyperlinks to maintain itself. If you happen to click on on an affiliate hyperlink, I will be very blissful as a result of I will earn a small fee in your buy. You will discover my boring full disclosure right here.